What Took So Long?!

One of the things you'll learn about me, if you didn't know this already, is that I like to write and I like to talk. Mostly, I like to talk about writing. So you can expect frequent updates from me here while the design process is on-going. I'm going to talk about the design process here, and my experiences with building a game company, and even come to you with questions...

As I said in a comment, I am unable to post to the Cairn Kickstarter backer page simply because I wasn't a backer. So if you want to talk Cairn RPG, or SoulJAR Games, or just generally ask questions, this is the place to do it.

It occurs to me that one of the questions you may have is "what took you so long?!"

That's a valid question. Mike Nystul and I have been talking about my acquiring the rights to Cairn for some two months. Two months with no real news (which drove you backers crazy, I know).

Believe it or not, starting a game company isn't all that easy. First of all, in order to acquire the rights for the Cairn IP, I had to do a lot of due diligence. This spanned not only gathering information about the Cairn RPG itself, but also the Cairn Kickstarter. How much to miniatures cost? What goes into making them? Where do I print books? How much does that cost? I had to figure out what I was getting into, and what I could take on.

Secondly, I had to get my ducks in a row. I had to talk to talk to people about actually founding a company. It does me no good to take on something of this magnitude without, say, having people to go to for layout. What graphic designers are out there? How much do they cost? When do they have time to actually get to doing the graphic design? I had to figure out how I was going to get this done.

Lastly, I had to go through all the legal rigamarole of actually transferring the rights.

This is what's taken me so long, and why you had to wait for news. I didn't want news to you backers to trickle out. And if I couldn't pull it all together, I didn't want to see you all disappointed. I wanted to make sure I could deliver.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Help Me Fly for iPhone and iPad

SoulJar Meeting 9/20/13

A Peek Behind the Curtain